Monday, December 15, 2008

Song Share: AM180

By Scott Stinocher

This is a band that i really love. Sadly, they are no longer making music, but this is still one of my favorite songs all time. I don't really have a ton to say, so you will just have to enjoy it.

A.M. 180 by Grandaddy



Lyrics:
Don’t change your name
Keep it the same
For fear I may lose you again
I know you won't
It's just that I
Am unorganized
And I want to find you
When something good happens

If you come down
We'll go to town
I haven't been there for years
But I’d be fine
Wasting our time
Not doing anything here
Just doing nothing

We’ll sit for days
And talk about things
Important to us like whatever
We'll defuse bombs
And walk marathons
And take on whatever, together

6 comments:

  1. oooh fun! I like the little almost kid toy sounding synth they/he? used. Very nice song. I must go learn bout grandaddy now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too really dig the childness of this song. It sounds somewhere between a jack-in-the-box and an old school Nintendo. Either way it has a sense of retro-nostalgia to it that is delicious. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like. enjoyed the light-heartedness that the synth obligato brings in contrast to some of the heavier "rockish" sounds underneath. i also enjoyed the sincere simplicity of the lyrics.

    i agree is has a "youthful" feel/sound. (at least, to this old lady) ha! ;)

    refreshing and uplifting listen. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What?! Grandaddy split?! When did this happen?

    I can't say I ever followed them very closely, but I would check in every once in a while. I first heard about them about 6-7 years ago because they were on tour with Elbow (yes, all roads lead to Elbow). They had some really good stuff going.

    I do have a harder time enjoying music where the vocals are so buried in the mix, like this one (which is probably why I never got into Radiohead as much either). I remember liking some of their other songs a lot more, but it's been a few years now so I can't recall any in specific.

    Still it's got a good carefree vibe that makes me feel happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This song reminds me of 28 days later, one of my favorite horror films (it's in the movie). It's a juxtaposition to the creepiness of the film.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This song contains the greatest depths of joy of any song I know. After years of listening, it still makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete