By Alex Madrigal
It was very hard for me to choose a song from this band, but i finally settled on this song, vaka. This album "( )" originally had no song names, so the other name for this song is "untitled 1" The singer sings in no real language--his voice is usually used simply as an instrument. [it's funny, but sometimes i think i hear him sing real words... and they usually go with what the song is meaning to me at the time] This is a great Sigur Ros song, like many other songs of theirs-- there's a build-up, there's a climax, and finally a great explosion/resolution/falling apart at the end... and the pure emotion manifested in their music is really what grabs me. Sometimes their songs can sound happy, or sad, or hopeful, or proud, or that feeling of letting go and losing hope... sometimes it's the same song. I find that my own state of mind usually dictates what the song is to me at the time. I hope everyone likes it, i encourage everyone of watch the sigur ros videos (the untitled tracks are the my personal favorites) on youtube... also, they give away mp3s of their songs on their web page (media tab)
It was very hard for me to choose a song from this band, but i finally settled on this song, vaka. This album "( )" originally had no song names, so the other name for this song is "untitled 1" The singer sings in no real language--his voice is usually used simply as an instrument. [it's funny, but sometimes i think i hear him sing real words... and they usually go with what the song is meaning to me at the time] This is a great Sigur Ros song, like many other songs of theirs-- there's a build-up, there's a climax, and finally a great explosion/resolution/
i hope i didn't ramble too much.
peace.
not my favorite sigur ros song, but a nice listen. i do like sigur ros. their use of "non-language" lyrics is intriguing and, as mentioned, gives the music a more universal appeal as it can mean what you want it to mean.
ReplyDeleteits also surprising how much emotion they can convey without the use of actual "words." but i guess that's the point of music anyways. ;)
altho', perhaps because there's not actual lyrics, i can only listen to sigur ros in short doses at a time because it all starts to sound the same. so i mix it with other stuff and its really great stuff.
The first time i heard sigur ros it was a video with bunch of down syndrome kids/people in white robes with angel wings. The video was pretty amazing in it's simplicity and the song itself evoked such raw emotion. I was overwhelmed. For that reason alone I will always listen to whatever sigur ros puts out.
ReplyDeleteThough seeing them in person is kinda weird. I guess I had a totally different view of them in my mind. Life id funny like that. Until I saw this video I didn't even wonder what they looked like.
Sigur Ros is way supa-cool.
ReplyDeleteSigur Ros videos are way supa-cool.
They're a band I wish I had more time to just sit and wrap myself in the music of, digesting every element and its relation to everything else.
They're also incredibly interesting to listen to from a music production perspective, analyzing the techniques and sounds used to create the amazing textures.
I fist heard Sigur Ros at a Music Night . . . I think it was the very first Music Night.
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion Sigur Rós : Glósóli video maybe one of the most beautiful music videos ever. And I love the song too.
I wasn't aware they weren't singing in a real language.