Monday, February 16, 2009

Song Share: Wicked Wedding

By Martin Gonzalez

So this is a mashup of Billy Idol's White Wedding and Chris Issak's Wicked Game.

The video isn't that good so I'd suggest just clicking and maybe go emo for 5 minutes and start shoe-gazing, but the song is just too cool.
Beyond just liking the two songs combined the skill that was involved to mesh these two songs together left me a bit awestruck.
DJ Schmolli appears to have slowed White Wedding down to match Wicked Game without changing Billy Idols vocals (or at least to my ear).
Anyway I didn't even notice that the first ten times I listened to it, it took Steve wondering about the speed before I noticed.
To me that is the mark of a true artist when effort to produce a work is not even noticeable (course I could just suck).

So I hope you all enjoy,
Wicked Wedding by DJ Schmolli


Lyrics:
Hey little sister what have you done
Hey little sister whos the only one
Hey little sister whos your superman
Hey little sister whos the one you want
Hey little sister shot gun!
Its a nice day to start again
[This love is only gonna break your heart]
Its a nice day for a white wedding
[This love is only gonna break your heart]
No, I don't want to fall in love
[This love is only gonna break your heart]
No, I don't want to fall in love
[This love is only gonna break your heart]
With you

Hey little sister who is it you're with?
Hey little sister what's your vice and wish?
Hey little sister shot gun (oh yeah)
Hey little sister who's your superman?
Hey little sister shot gun!
It's a nice day to start again
[This love is only gonna break your heart]
It's a nice day for a white wedding
[This love is only gonna break your heart]
It's a nice day to start again.
[This love is only gonna break your heart]

There is nothin fair in this world, girl
There is nothin safe in this world
And theres nothin sure in this world
And theres nothin pure in this world
Look for something left in this world
It's a nice day to start again
[This love is only gonna break your heart]
It's a nice day for a white wedding
[This love is only gonna break your heart]
It's a nice day to start again.
[This love is only gonna break your heart]
It's a nice day to start again.
[This love is only gonna break your heart]
It's a nice day to start again.
[This love is only gonna break your heart]
Its a nice day for a white wedding
[This love is only gonna break your heart]

Nobody loves no one

8 comments:

  1. I guess it would sound a lot cooler if I was more familiar with the two songs used here. To my ignorant ears it just sounds like a really chilled out Billy Idol song.

    I'm learning about sampling in a couple of my classes this term, and I am becoming quite fascinated with the art of taking pre-recorded sounds and meshing them together into entirely new tapestries. It's one of those things I think would be really fun to try, if I could only find the time and means to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely amazing. It had me until the "nobody loves no one" at the end, which detracted more from the mix than it added.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah that line does seem to come out of nowhere at the end there. But still, it's just fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty amazed by this song myself. I can't believe how well DJ Schmolli has matched it up and that it even can be matched up. It's a trip to hear such a well known song sung to a different yet also well known tune.

    I really dig it because it floors me every time I hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i guess i'm a bit "underwhelmed". its a cool idea and there are some pairs of songs that i think would be fun to do that with. However, personally, don't care much for either of these 2 songs, so that's probably why it lacks fascination for me. still, it'd be fun to see if/what other songs this has been done to. Could be interesting...
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah I total get if you aren't into either song it's just kinda novelty. But don't worry this has been going on for some time. I'm not sure what songs you would be interested in hearing put together but here is some more info on mashups: Mashup (wikipedia)

    My favorite mashup album is The Grey album, its a mashup of The Beatles White album and Jay-Z's Black album. The Grey Album
    I use the word awesome a lot to describe that album,

    But anyway yeah just take a look around online there are a lot of mashups out there. I bet you can find one done with a song that interests you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, mashups might be a novelty since they depend on familiarity of the songs involved, (at the very least, one of the songs) but they are trippy in an awesome way . . . like an optical illusion.

    It's interesting how the minuscule elements of a song can get ingrained into your head so quickly. Then when one aspect is changed your brain starts sending up flags and you know something is amiss right away. I think therein lies the magic of mashups.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think there are a lot of mashups going on, but i think that that is making for even better ones (djs have to try harder for a mashup to gain popularity). Most mashups have a 2 songs side by side feel to them, but i think this DJ did a good job of taking two songs and turning them into one solid track with a completely different feel to it.

    ReplyDelete