Monday, March 30, 2009

Song Share: My Girls

By Jake Parker

I heard this song on a local indy radio station broadcasting out of Brooklyn and I haven't been able to get it out of my head since.

My Girls
by Animal Collective on the album Merriweather Post Pavilion.




Lyrics:
Is it much that I feel I need
A solid soul and the blood I bleed
With a little girl, and by my spouse
I only want a proper house

I don't care for fancy things
Or to take part in a precious race
And children cry for the one who has
A real big heart and a father's grace

I don't mean to seem like I care about material things like a social status
I just want four walls and adobe slabs for my girls

3 comments:

  1. Yeah freaking awesome! Did these guys have a previous song do well? I seem to recall the band but not this song. i like the video too, i dont know why but it reminds me a bit of fantasia... going to hide back under the rock again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first heard Animal Collective during the credits of a short film that played at Sundance. The song was "Who Could Win a Rabbit" and it got into my head so bad that every morning for a while after I would wake up singing it.

    They have some seriously catchy tunes.

    Maybe I'll look into Animal Collective a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dig their instrumental combination: 3 types of synths and a crash cymbal. It would be a ton of fun to have those kind of toys to play with.

    The song gives me the feeling of an airplane that keeps gathering speed but never manages to lift off.

    The lyrics really stand alone. I listened without reading them at first and I would have never guessed that's what they were saying. I really like them.

    ReplyDelete