Monday, September 21, 2009

Song Share: Banged and Blown Through

By Alex Madrigal

Saul Williams (or as he is known on this album… Niggy Tardust) is a poet/rapper/actor who collaborated with Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails on this album (The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust!). I first heard this song at a Nine Inch Nails concert where Trent covered it. I love the idea of the character in the song being a “broken instrument” begging the conductor to “bring out the song” in them. It also reminds me of Trent always referring to NIN as being a “Broken Machine.” I hope you all like the song.

www.saulwilliams.com

Song: Banged and Blown Through

Artist: Saul Williams




Lyrics:

We are broken

Instruments.

Bust wide open

Smashed and bent.

Not what you’d expect

From these city streets.

Who serves to protect

The orchestra in me?

Conductor, conductor,

I feel electricity

Conductor, conductor,

Can you bring out the song in me?

(instruments, instruments…)

Banged and blown through

(instruments, instruments…)

Banged and blown through

(instruments, instruments…)

Banged and blown through

(instruments, instruments…)

We are broken

Instruments.

Bust wide open

Smashed and bent.

Not what you’d expect

From these city streets.

Who serves to protect

The orchestra in me?

(instruments, instruments…)

Banged and blown through

(instruments, instruments…)

Banged and blown through

(instruments, instruments…)

Banged and blown through

(instruments, instruments…)

Conductor, conductor!

Conductor, conductor,

Can you bring out the song in me?

5 comments:

  1. and a little of his poetry... right... i'll stop commenting on my own song now.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2Y13sCv4Mk

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFaf4ri_blg
    (this ones better)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you keep commenting. The comments have been waning as of late. But I have faith that the blog is still being viewed and loved.

    This song reminds me of something but I can't put my finger on it. Something like Peter Gabriel or Phil Collins. Something from the 80's.

    "NiggyTardust" . . . that's delightfully irreverent in a way that makes me feel guilt at thinking it delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Not what I was expecting at all. So, that's what happens when you combine NIN and rap.
    Pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete